October 19, 2011

Girls NOT Brides . . . Traditions Can Change

I've joked for a long time that my daughter shouldn't date until she's 35 years old.  While I'm not being serious, of course, the sentiment arises from a very serious desire to love and protect her.  I have two children, a 12 year old daughter and a 16 year old son, and I love them equally . . . with the entirety of my being.  I want them both to do whatever they want with their lives, to love and be with whoever they want, and for them to be treated by the world as the equals that they are.  My children inspire me to do much of the work that I do.

Unfortunately, far too many girls do not have equal rights compared to their male counterparts.  Many girls around the world are still treated like little more than personal property . . . of their father or brother, and then of their husband.  The result is marriage far too young, too many babies, increased risk of death during child birth, lack of education, and in many cases extreme poverty.  The good news is that this CAN change.

The following fantastic short video was produced for Girls Not Brides, and deals with the problem of girls being betrothed and wed  . . . way, way, WAY too young.  And, it's not a small problem, it takes place to the tune of over 25,000 times EVERY DAY.  The video features commentary by Mary Robinson (former President of Ireland and currently the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights), Graca Machel (International Advocate for Women & Children's Rights), and Desmond Tutu (Anglican Archbishop and Nobel Peace Laureate).




Hey!!  I'm That Poverty Guy . . . let's make a world of difference together.


Click Here to Sign . . . A Declaration to World Leaders


Click Here to See WACHOOKANDU.

No comments:

Post a Comment