January 14, 2012

A Hairy Ordeal (January 14, 2012)

Through both of the first two phases of That Poverty Project, my experience has been quite literally a hairy ordeal.  Very hairy in fact!

I had long-ish hair to start with.  However, not being able to afford haircuts during my time in the tent or my time with a very limited budget has taken it to a new level.  Currently, my bangs are the longest they've been in my entire life.  Seriously . . . it's even longer than when I had my mid-80's perm.  (Don't judge me . . . it looked good with my big glasses and pastel Miami Vice inspired clothes.)

I've also been unable to shave given the cost of razor blades.  While in the tent, my beard just grew and grew unencumbered.  After my time in the tent was over, I trimmed my beard back but decided to keep it in order to avoid growing it from scratch again when this phase began.  That said, I have tried to keep it under control by trimming it regularly while being on a limited budget.

Given the above, two things have been driving me crazy. 

While the length of my hair doesn't bother me at all, keeping it under control . . . out of my eyes . . . out of my mouth . . . out of my food is quite another story.  Accordingly, near the beginning of this phase I invested in some really cheap, but incredibly strong, hair gel.  Unfortunately, it held so well that when my hands or a brush went into my hair it stuck so well that it pulled painfully, and often a number of hair follicles gave their life for the effort.  So, a couple of days ago I invested in better hair products.  They are working SO MUCH BETTER!

I know, I know.  There's going to be some of you asking . . . why don't I just cut my hair right off or wear it really short?  You can just stop that noise right there!  Not going to happen.   I've invested too much time growing it out, and I have a sneaky suspicion that I have a weird shaped skull. (Thus, the reason I was blessed with a full head of hair!) Then, others will question spending money on hair products when budget is limited.  I have to admit I was in that camp as well, but the bother caused by my hair flying around or getting stuck in my face or being pulled out broke down my defences.

The second thing getting on my nerves is my beard.  I had a beard for 10 years of my life and never did it cause me the itching and bother as it is currently.  At least I don't remember it doing so.  Any way, I'm counting down the days until it comes off.  February 1st is shave day.

Yeah, yeah . . . a whole blog posting on my hair issues.  Trivial, I know.  But how many of you give any thought or hesitation to doing something with your hair when it is driving you nuts.  I would guess, the vast majority of people don't have to.  If it gets too long, get it cut.  If the beard itches, shave it off.  However, things that are trivial for most can still become a subject of thought, deliberation, and cost assessment when your means are limited.  And, if the trivial things are real issues, then just imagine how much bigger non-trivial items are to deal with.  Just saying.


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Phase II - Struggles of the Working Poor Daily Report
Day 73 - 75 (January 12th – January 14th)

Weight at Beginning of Project:  233 lbs
Weight at End of Phase One:  216 lbs
Weight at Start of Phase Two: 221 lbs
Weight at Start of Today:  217 lbs
Available Funds:   $33.15 (leftover) + $8.00 (Jan 12) + $9.00 (Jan 13) + $6.00 (Jan 14) = $56.15
Funds Spent Today:  $20.95 (Purchases) + $25.00 (Loan Repayment)
Remaining Funds:   $10.20


New Loan:  $0.00
Loan Payment Due Today: $0.00
Loan Payment:   $25.00
Outstanding Loan: $50.65 as at Jan 14th (originally $50.00 on Jan 3) @ 3% per month (non-compounding) - $25.00 (loan payment) = $25.65 Owing as at Jan 14th . . . full re-payment due January 31st (or earlier)

Items Purchased:   $5 Gas, Bag of Generic Potato Chips, Hair Products
Free Stuff:   Dinner at Friends

Gas Purchased* & Remaining:  $5.00 (i.e. 4.51 litres @ $1.109 per litre . . . 45.1 km @ 10 km/litre) + 1.26 litres (gas remaining) = 5.77 litres (57.7 km)
Driving Today:  26.3 km (i.e. 2.63 litres)
Gas Remaining:  3.14 litres (i.e. 31.4 km)
*Will not include any fuel or driving related to work that is paid for by work.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Hey!! I'm That Poverty Guy . . . let's make a world of difference together.

Click Here to See WHAT YOU CAN DO

Click Here to Sign . . . A Declaration to World Leaders

6 comments:

  1. Hair folicles gave their life... Hopefully the poor have as good a sense of humour as you! Surely laughter would ease some situations.
    Thanks for sharing the hair story... my Mom is a hairdresser and I know she'd cut yours for free! The plane ticket might be an issue.
    Like I tell my sons, I don't care how long your hair gets/is, keep it clean! Do you have enough funds for shampoo?
    Here's hoping!
    Cheers!
    Tracey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sean D. Krausert, EditorJanuary 14, 2012 at 10:10 PM

      Thanks for the comment, Tracey.

      I'm glad you appreciated the humour. I find that many people in tough situations are able to access humour as an outlet. I guess just because a situation is serious doesn't mean it always has to be serious. :)

      Yup, I have shampoo. Tonight I had a friend who hadn't seen me since the tent phase tell me that he was happy to see me looking clean and smelling great.

      Delete
  2. A few days ago I was occasioned to speak with a lady who lived on the street, she found a Mission Shelter that had a Hairdresser facility. She said that as she was having her hair washed she cried because she had not had that done to her since childhood. WHAT a ministry, to offer a 'Beauty Salon' to those in need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sean D. Krausert, EditorJanuary 16, 2012 at 10:31 PM

      There was a free haircut day in Calgary not too long ago, and it was packed! Hundreds, if not thousands, of homeless people got a haircut. Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  3. I love to jave it brought to our attention that something we take for granted has brought u such pleasure!! who knew....that all this time i should have been prayin for a good hair day for you!!!! :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sean D. Krausert, EditorJanuary 16, 2012 at 10:32 PM

      LOL. Thanks for the comment.

      Delete