November 7, 2011

Persistent Low Grade Stress (November 7, 2011)

Persistent low grade stress.  That has been my experience through the first week exploring the struggles of the working poor.  Manageable, but troublesome.

As I've written, so far I've not had any great difficulty in being a single person living on $7.50 per day after rent and utilities BUT with no kids to pay for, no addictions/illness, and no unforeseen surprises yet.  That said, there is constant stress in having to watch every penny, having less to eat than I would like, having fewer options than I am used to, watching every kilometre driven, and worrying that something may happen that will require me to spend my food money in a way not expected.  Admittedly, some of this is "growing pains" as I get used to the new lifestyle . . . but I believe a good portion of it is part of the everyday life of those struggling to make ends meet.

Over the last week, I've had the privilege of communicating with many people who have personally experienced elements of being working poor.  The following three exchanges particularly stick in my mind . . .

  • I had a discussion with a woman who struggled for a period of time when she was a single mother of two young boys.  She was working full-time and taking courses to improve her employment opportunities.  I was dismayed when she described how she would walk into the grocery store every week with $40 to buy food for the entire week.  She became an expert on getting cheap bulk items that could stretch ( . . . and stretch . . . and stretch). That's about $12.50 LESS per week than I have . . . and two additional growing mouths to feed!

  • Another woman corresponded with me how she has been living cheque to cheque for years, and hasn't been able to accumulate any savings for her retirement.  She is worried about her basic needs being met when she's older.  She's not alone in this . . . VERY not alone.  A growing segment of the population is reaching their senior years with little or no resources.

  • I also spoke with a volunteer at the food bank who shared how many of the food bank clients were individuals and families barely getting by financially when "something happens" that pushes them into needing help.  For example, they had no buffer available to them when the car needed repairs, the children needed special materials or treatment, a loss was suffered where there was no insurance (because it could not be afforded), etc.  Unforeseen misfortune.

Making things stretch, having no buffer, and worries of what could happen . . . these are all quite unsettling and stressful.

My daughter noted this morning that this phase of the project seems easier than my time in the tent.  Well sweetie, yes and no.  On the outside it is easier . . . SO FAR.  I am eating alright, I am warm, and my standard of living is acceptable.  However, on the inside the stress described above creates a dynamic that I did not experience as much as when I was in the tent.  Maybe it's just me?  While it could be, I suspect it's not entirely.

"So," you ask, "What can we do about these types of situations?"  I have a few suggestions.  First, talk amongst your extended family, and confirm that you'll watch out for each other to ensure that no one will go without basic necessities.  It's entirely likely that someone in your family may be silently suffering and this reassurance will calm some worries.  Second, look for opportunities to lend a hand, invite someone over to dinner, or otherwise help someone having trouble making ends meet.  I've found that a single free meal eases finances considerably.  Third, support organizations such as food banks, thrift stores, school lunch programs, etc. with your time or your money if you are able.  These are crucial resources when people fall on hard times.  Fourth, speak up.  Let our leaders know that WE CARE that everyone everywhere has their basic rights met - food/water, shelter, clothing, education, and health care.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Phase II - Struggles of the Working Poor Daily Report
Day 5 (Nov 5) & Day 6 (Nov 6)

Weight at Beginning of Project:  233 lbs
Weight at End of Phase One:  216 lbs
Weight at Start of Phase Two: 221 lbs
Weight at Start of Today:  218 lbs

Available Funds:   $0.60 (leftover) + $7.50 (new - Day 5) + $5.50 (new - Day 6) = $13.60
Funds Spent Today:  $0.00 (Day 5) + $17.55 (Day 6) = $17.55
Remaining Funds:   $0.00 (see New Loan)

New Loan:  $3.95 (Day 6)
Outstanding Loan: $3.95 @ 1.5% per day . . .  $4.01 due on Day 7
Loan Payment:   $0.00
Loan Remaining: $3.95

Items Purchased:   2 Noodle Soups, Half Dozen Eggs, Lg. Tub of Margarine, 3-Pack Bars of Soap, Loaf of Whole Wheat Bread, Lg. Pork Butt Steak, 2 Bananas, 1 Pack of Green Onions, 5lb Bag of Russet Potatoes

Free Stuff:  Event at Church (Wine, Cheese & Desserts!!!!)

Gas Purchased* & Remaining:  $0.00 (i.e. 0 litres @ $1.129 per litre . . . 0 km @ 10 km/litre) + 3.90 litres (gas remaining) = 3.90 litres (39.0 km)
Driving Today:  27 km (i.e. 2.7litres)
Gas Remaining:  1.20 litres (i.e. 12 km)

*Will not include any fuel or driving related to work that is paid for by work.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Hey!! I'm That Poverty Guy . . . let's make a world of difference together.

Click Here to Sign . . . A Declaration to World Leaders.

Click Here to See WACHOOKANDU.

No comments:

Post a Comment