December 3, 2011

Double Standards? (December 3rd, 2011)

Early in the first phase of the project I identified a double standard often applied to those in poverty.  I had discovered that some people believe those in poverty should be sad all the time as opposed to allowing them the full range of experience like everybody else.  In other words, if someone is smiling or laughing then they're not really poor.  (see "Not All Bad . . . Is NOT All Good")  I know . . . it's ridiculous! 

Well, I think I 've stumbled upon another one . . . poor people are supposed to have iron willpower and perfect decision making.  That, too, sounds ridiculous, especially when it's stated like that.  However, how often have we judged someone in poverty because of a decision or purchase they made that we deemed unwise given their financial situation.  Maybe buying cigarettes . . . or treats . . . or drugs or alcohol. Well, if you have ever done that as I admit that I have, then you are applying a double standard.  Unless, of course, you're perfect. 

"I want some, too."
How did this train of thought hit home with me?  Well, after a long week of work, yesterday Mrs. Poverty Guy walked into the house with a bottle of wine.  She had decided that she would enjoy a nice glass as she relaxed last night. None for me though.  Something in me snapped.  I wanted some, too.  I knew that it wasn't the smart thing to do . . . dipping into my precious funds to purchase something purely for my own enjoyment.  I didn't care.  I knew that there may be a time later in the month when I may regret it . . . when I may need that $10 badly.  All I knew was at that moment I was miserable and the gap between what was staring me in the face and what I should do was just too much to take.  I bought a cheap bottle of wine, and nobody has to judge me about it because I judged myself enough for everyone.  Eventually, I recognized the double standard I was applying unfairly to myself and had to lighten up . . . give myself a break.

Rich or poor . . . we are all people with wants, needs, hopes and gifts.  We all have weaknesses and strengths.  We all make mistakes because we're all human.  And real people, just like us, give into temptation or succumb to addiction . . . and that doesn't negate the need for compassion and helping others where we can.


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Phase II - Struggles of the Working Poor Daily Report
Day 32 & Day 33 (December 2nd – 3rd)

Weight at Beginning of Project:  233 lbs
Weight at End of Phase One:  216 lbs
Weight at Start of Phase Two: 221 lbs
Weight at Start of Today:  216 lbs
Available Funds:   $39.29 (Leftover) + $8.50 (Dec 2) + $10.00 (Dec 3) = $57.79
Funds Spent Today:  $11.64
Remaining Funds:   $46.15


New Loan:  $0.00
Loan Due Today: $0.00
Loan Payment:   $0.00
Outstanding Loan: $135.00 @ 2% per month (non-compounding) . . . payments due as follows:  $34.38 due Dec 8th; $34.22 due Dec 15th; $34.07 due Dec 22nd; $33.91 due Dec 29th.

Items Purchased:   Wine
Free Stuff:  Men’s Breakfast, Leftover Beans

Gas Purchased* & Remaining:  $0.00 (i.e. 0.0 litres @ $1.089 per litre . . . 0.0 km @ 10 km/litre) + 5.41 litres (gas remaining) = 5.41 litres (54.1 km)
Driving Today:  16.0 km (i.e. 1.60 litres)
Gas Remaining:  3.81 litres (i.e. 38.1 km)
*Will not include any fuel or driving related to work that is paid for by work.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Hey!! I'm That Poverty Guy . . . let's make a world of difference together.

Click Here to Sign . . . A Declaration to World Leaders

Click Here to See WACHOOKANDU

2 comments:

  1. yes...we gave all regretted some retail therapy .....but cheap wine Sean???? really???? (lol)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sean D. Krausert, EditorDecember 7, 2011 at 9:42 PM

    What?!? Let me re-phrase it . . . it was wallet friendly wine. :)

    ReplyDelete