October 27, 2011

Marg Delahunty Inadvertantly Uncovers the Real Enemy of Poverty (October 27, 2011)

"Marg Delahunty" of CBC's This Hour Has 22 Minutes
as portrayed by comedian, Mary Walsh.
Okay, I'm weak . . . I just can't resist the temptation to weigh in on the debacle of the last couple of days involving Toronto's mayor, Rob Ford.  Please forgive me . . . it's not for the reasons you might expect.

Normally I wouldn't comment on a municipal event that on its surface really doesn't have anything to do with governing directly.  However, this event so perfectly illustrates an attitude that interferes with helping those in need that I have to take the plunge.

First some context.  For those who haven't heard, Mayor Ford was unexpectedly approached at his home by Mary Walsh of CBC's satirical news show, "This Hour Has 22 Minutes".  As many (dare I say "most"?) Canadians are aware, Ms. Walsh has a character named Marg Delahunty who has surprised a number of politicians in the past (including former Prime Minister Chretien) in order to have an impromptu "media" interview.  This particular incident with Mayor Ford is explained and shown in the following CBC reports:

Rob Ford's Tantrum (video report)


Essentially, after being approached, a smiling Mayor Ford climbs into his vehicle only to immediately get out and go into his house.  Apparently, Mayor Ford then made two calls to 911 in which he uttered profanities about the dispatchers while reminding them "I'm Rob f-ing Ford, the mayor of this city!"  Later, Mayor Ford would describe how he felt troubled during the incident (referring to his daughter being scared, having received death threats, etc.) and mentions that he "told the police".

I can understand how he may have been annoyed, caught off guard, or not known how to respond.  After all, CBC entered onto his private property and all of a sudden he was in the midst of what was obviously a comedy routine.  Even so, Mayor Ford's response was WAY beyond that which was reasonable in the situation and, more importantly, demonstrated a mindset that causes me great concern.
  • He called 911 when it was absolutely unnecessary to do so, and then was extremely abusive in the process.   The elected leader of a mega city, or even a hamlet for that matter, should know better than to do such a thing.  Terrible behaviour . . . an abuse of the system and an abuse of people.
  • Afterwards, Mayor Ford seems a little loose with the truth when describing the event.  He essentially places Marg Delahunty in the same category as the death threats he received.  Really??  And, then he brushes over the whole 911 thing by describing it as having "told the police".  Again . . . REALLY?? I can understand wanting to save face after an embarrassing episode, but let's not be ridiculous.  
  • "I am Rob f-ing Ford, the mayor of this city!"  This one I totally get (tongue firmly in cheek).  He was angry about not receiving the mayor's level of service from emergency crews as opposed to the level of service regular citizens get when their life is threatened by middle aged microphone bearing comedians.
It is this last one that I find the most disturbing.  I certainly may be wrong, but it sure looks like an eruption of a self-righteous sense of entitlement.  If it walks like a duck and quack likes a duck . . .

It is self-righteous sense of entitlement by those with resources, authority, and influence that I believe is the real enemy of poverty.   To be clear, I am not saying Mayor Ford is an enemy of poverty, but rather the attitude he displayed is the culprit.  What is "self-righteous sense of entitlement"? It is a false sense of moral superiority that justifies using one's resources, authority, or influence to serve one's self interests despite the needs of others.  We usually see this expressed as, "It's mine! Why should I have to share it with others?"  Of course, such a view is not only selfish but also short-sighted, based upon selective history and reasoning, and contrary to any number of moral codes. 

(Editorial Note - This last statement, ironically, may be seen by those who disagree with me as itself an expression of self-righteous sense of entitlement.  Hmmm . . . I don't think so, but I can see the argument.  I take solace in the fact that my statement is to the benefit of others and not myself, and in keeping with internationally recognized human rights.)

This characteristic is detrimental to the alleviation of poverty when expressed by an individual as an excuse not to help others.  However, it is absolutely disastrous to poverty eradication efforts when representative of an entire people collectively.  Unfortunately, while not often spoken, it is this mindset that tends to govern the actions of many countries.  While I am not opposed to countries looking "after their own first", I get extremely troubled when countries don't look after their own AND don't take enough action to help those starving elsewhere while spending valuable resources on secondary wants and needs of its citizenry.  What do I mean by that?  I mean that filling tummies of impoverished people everywhere must take precedent over filling potholes anywhere.

Getting back to Mayor Ford, I have one final note.  Whenever I see him recently I can't help but also think of a recently circulated video of a private barbecue hosted by the Fords for Prime Minister Harper and some other federal Conservative politicians.  While the video has since been removed from the Internet, a full description of the video can be found in the news (Ford, Harper Love-In Video Surfaces).  I just hope that the attitude demonstrated by Mayor Ford is not shared by his "new fishing buddy," Prime Minister Harper.    What's the old saying . . . birds of a feather barbecue together? 

(Okay, that last bit was cheeky . . . but did I mention I am weak? That said, my mind would be put at considerable ease with respect to the Prime Minister if the Canadian government would come up with a comprehensive strategy to eradicate poverty in Canada AND also meet its international commitment of providing 0.7% of its GDP towards meeting the Millennium Development Goals.  Just saying.)


Hey!! I'm That Poverty Guy . . . let's make a world of difference together.

Click Here to Sign . . . A Declaration to World Leaders

Click Here to See WACHOOKANDU

2 comments:

  1. You said, "I mean that filling tummies of impoverished people everywhere must take precedent over filling potholes anywhere." I certainly agree with THAT whole paragraph! AND I agree with your point about,"self-righteous sense of entitlement"; in fact I just read a Newspaper article slamming the 'Occupy Movement' because,"we in Canada are pretty well off, so why are they protesting" ... the article to me missed the whole point and was certainly an example of "self-righteous sense of entitlement".
    About the Mayor, I am a bit easier on him, as often Public people are 'caught off guard' AND are human, with human deficiencies; "me-a- culpa".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sean D. Krausert, EditorOctober 31, 2011 at 9:50 AM

    Great comments . . . both the supportive one and the one holding me accountable. Thanks!

    I think I did go much easier on Mayor Ford than most media. And, I'm quite concerned when the elected leader of city with more people in it than some Canadian provinces reacts in this manner. I can certainly understand anger, acting weird, and maybe even the first call to 911. But the second call to 911 and the statement he made after having a few minutes to get his act together? All of that said, my intent was not to string up Mayor Ford, but draw attention to behaviour that disturbs me greatly. As explicitly referenced above, I'm certainly not holding Mayor Ford (or anyone) to perfection and quite understand a strange reaction in the circumstances . . . but I believe that this was so beyond strange that it might just reveal something inside. Of course, it's just my opinion.

    ReplyDelete