October 31, 2011

What About Butter? (October 31, 2011)

Tomorrow I dive into the struggles of the working poor, and my mind is on butter.  I know . . . strange.  Well, not really.

Some time ago I had opportunity to travel to Berlin, Germany for a conference and, as is my custom, I went in search of local cuisine.  My colleague and I happened upon a quaint German pub/restaurant, and I enjoyed one of the most memorable meals of my life.  The highlight of the meal for me was the salad . . . sausage salad.  With nothing "leafy" in sight, the sausage salad was about four inches deep of delectable sliced cold sausage covered in purple onion, savoury oil, four long pretzel sticks, a big crunchy pickle, and two glorious large slabs of butter.  When it arrived at the table, I sat wide-eyed and drooling while my colleague clutched his chest concerned that simply being in the vicinity of the cholesterol monstrosity on my plate may trigger a heart attack.  Further, he wondered how I was going to eat the butter without any bread or buns.  I scoffed indicating that bread was merely one possible "transportation device for the butter", and then devoured the entire salad using the sausage as my vehicle of choice for the butter. I then dutifully called my wife to assure her that I was was being "a good boy" by eating salad as I travelled.

I've told that story for years, mostly to shock my listener with my gluttony in that moment.  And every time I've told it, until today, I thought that it was only a story about gluttony.   Today, as I wonder about whether bread or potatoes or rice would be prudent purchases tomorrow as I start Phase II of That Poverty Project, I realize that the story, especially as it pertains to the butter, is equally a statement about luxury.  As much as I love butter with my food, I'm not sure I'll be able to afford it, at least not at first.  I guess I'll have to cross my fingers and see how it goes at the grocery store in the next few days.

Of course, butter is not the only thing causing me concern.  What about meat or milk or eggs or fruit?  What about seasonings?  I'll likely "find" some salt and pepper packets, but what about the hot spices I love so much?  I've pretty well accepted the fact that I will not likely be able to afford my all time favourite food . . . cheese.  As for non-food items, while I have toothpaste from my last dentist visit and I've kept my beard so that I don't need to buy razors, but what about soap and shampoo?  I expect that I may be able to afford some of these items once I've stocked up on bulky cheap things to eat (i.e. potatoes, oatmeal, rice) that don't need to be bought every day.  But then the question occurs to me . . . will I be able to afford gas AND food?  Once again, I guess time will tell but I suspect I'll be doing a lot of walking again.

The "Living Parameters" for Phase Two of That Poverty Project are now posted on the website.  Hmmm . . . I've never been so grateful as I am today for not having a caffeine or nicotine addiction.  However, I do have a flavour and variety addiction that I suspect may cause some withdrawal symptoms.  Stay tuned.

IMPORTANT NOTE - While I may feel sorry for myself from time to time, I do keep forefront in my mind all of the millions of Canadians and billions of people around the world who have far greater challenges than those described above and in the "Living Parameters".  It is their fortitude that gives strength.


Hey!! I'm That Poverty Guy . . . let's make a world of difference together.

Click Here to Sign . . . A Declaration to World Leaders

Click Here to See WACHOOKANDU

2 comments:

  1. Sean, I can still remember the conversation. You managed to surprise me by saying you were eating a salad - I was used to your tales of pub food. I truly had no idea there was such a thing as sausage salad. I also remember how you appreciated the butter on the salad. I know just how big a sacrifice this phase will be for a guy who enjoys cheese and figures it should have more suggested servings per day on the Canada food guide than fruit and veggies :). Thanks for making a difference!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sean D. Krausert, EditorNovember 1, 2011 at 1:50 PM

    Thanks, Janet! If I am making a difference, a huge reason for that is the support from you and the kids.

    ReplyDelete