October 3, 2011

Tweets & Posts Update (September 19 - October 2, 2011)

For those of you not on Twitter or Facebook, the following are some highlights from That Poverty Project's postings from the previous week:

Facebook Page ("Likes" grew from about 300 to 421 while each Post gets up to 977 impressions, with most being between 500 and 800 impressions.)

SEPTEMBER 19th - Rainy day where I'm at . . . wish I could stay dry and warm but I have to venture out . . . perhaps the rain will stop soon. The following article really captures the essence of the problem re everyone having enough to eat . . . wastage.



(. . . and then later . . . ) I'm so happy that my sleeping bag is dry. One part of it got a little wet last night from the rain. With temperatures around freezing tonight I prefer dry layers to wet! One last thing for Day 59 . . . the stars are amazing!! It means a colder night, but sure is breathtaking.

SEPTEMBER 20thBrrrr! I made sure to stay in my hoodie / blanket / sleeping bag cocoon last night. My coldest night yet at -4C. I know those who are actually homeless withstand much, much colder . . . I'd take my hat off to them but can't afford to lose any body heat from my head right now. (. . . and then later . . . ) Check this out . . . A Declaration to World Leaders. Give it a read, "sign" it if you agree (it's quick & easy), and share it with others.

That Poverty Project - A Declaration to World Leaders
www.thatpovertyproject.com
Let's let our leaders know that WE CARE, and that no one should go hungry, homeless, etc. on their watch!


SEPTEMBER 21st
- A new day, and a new season! Fall is officially here and, especially for those who spend a lot of time outside, I hope it's a mild one. Last night was a good start being 5 degrees warmer than the night before (1C). Have a great day everyone! ( . . . and then later . . . )  Today is the International Day of Peace. One of the cornerstones of building peace is addressing poverty . . . removing the desperation, satisfying basic needs, creating availability of resources, and sparking hope . . . all of these increase peace and deter violence. ( . . . and then later . . . ) Just did laundry. I have big ice cubes on the end of my arms. Discovered That Poverty Guy's version of leaving a kleenex in a pocket. A dried leaf stuck to my clothes and I didn't notice it until it was in little bits all over my shirt! Tough to pick off when you can't feel your fingies . . . so is typing. (. . . and then later . . . ) There is so much in this article I don't know where to begin . . . average income in Canada is down to $38,500 . . . median income in Canada is up $1500 FROM 33 YEARS AGO . . . top 100 CEO's salaries increase 13% per year (avg. $6 million) . . . and the top marginal tax rates are the lowest since 1920's. And there's lots more to make you go "AAARRRRRGGGGGG!!"  Our system needs to be fixed . . . seriously. Just saying.



( . . . and then later . . . ) I'll believe it when I FEEL it . . . calling for a low of 13C. REALLY!?!     Good night, tent. Good night, sleeping bag. Good night, rickety ol' chair. Good night, 70's style TV tray. Good night . . .


SEPTEMBER 22nd - ZOMAGOODNESS!!! The weather forecast was right yesterday . . . it was 15C . . . and it was spectacular! I realize now that I haven't had a solid night's sleep in quite some time. Having slept so well last night I feel like a new person . . . clear head, calm . . . HUMAN. YABBA DABBA DOO!!

SEPTEMBER 23rd  - Aaahhhhhh! Last night it was 17C!!!!! I've lived here over 15 years and don't remember such warm temperatures overnight at any time in the year . . . or maybe I didn't care too notice since I wasn't sleeping outside? In any event, it sure helps one sleep and feel rested cone morning. Say it with me . . . Aaahhhhhh! ( . . . and then later . . . ) Thought for the day . . . Generosity is not determined by how much you give, but by how much you have left. ( . . . and then later . . . ) If we want to live in a compassionate and generous world, we must be compassionate and generous ourselves.

SEPTEMBER 24th - We must appreciate the moment. Sure, we can be prepared for the next moment . . . but not worry about it. To worry is to lose the blessings of this moment in a quagmire of what may never be.  I am grateful for the warmth in the air right now. I know at some point it will change, and I will handle that when it comes. That said, I'm not going to trade away this moment to fears of future moments, which fears will not change a thing. ( . . . and then later . . . ) "Alone we can do so little, together we can do so much." Helen Keller ( . . . and then later . . . )  The fact that my nose feels cold tells me I'm either a healthy dog or it's going to be closer to seasonal norms tonight. I'm thinkin' the latter.

SEPTEMBER 25th - Last night temperatures were back to seasonal normals . . . about 2C. However, I am not feeling sad they are over as much as I feel blessed to have had the warm nights. ( . . . and then later . . . ) I think I have a boo boo.   I have an old "war injury" whereby I have nerve damage on the outside of my left ankle, which as a result has a tendency to roll over from time to time. Sometimes it results in a sprain. This is one of those times. Although it should make getting around interesting over the next couple of days. But the life, and the project, goes on.  I'll fill you on the details of how it happened and my thoughts about it in tomorrow's blog. Suffice to say . . . I'm fine . . . in a little pain and uncomfortable, but fine. As a friend of mine used to say, "It's a long way from the heart."

SEPTEMBER 26th - A violent windstorm kept me up most of the night. My tent suffered some minor damage . . . nothing I can't fix though. Going to try to get a few winks of sleep first. On the bright side my ankle feels bit better. ( . . . and then later . . . )  Addressing the root causes of poverty will cost about half of what we spend annually simply bearing the costs and reacting to poverty. This comes from an interesting article found at page 14 of the linked issue of North of 50.  So . . . if responding compassionately to poverty is not enough of a reason to help, then there's also the economic incentive.


( . . . and then later . . . ) Time to crawl into the tent, and give my purple ankle a good night's rest. Sweet dreams everyone.
 
SEPTEMBER 27th - Rainy and cool last night, but I was warm and dry.  Let me ask you something. Did you wake up this morning warm and dry? If so, did you take a moment to be grateful for that or did you move right into more pressing matters? I believe that we are better able to deal with our "more pressing matters" if we take the time to be grateful for our blessings AND look at our situation in the context of the greater whole. Food for thought. ( . . . and then later . . . ) Okay . . . I found this challenge difficult (intellectually and emotionally). This site walks you through decisions you may have to make as the working poor to see if you can get through the month. Try it out and let me know what you think.

www.playspent.org
Think you’ll never have to ask for help? Here’s your chance to prove it.



( . . . and then later . . . ) As I tuck myself into my sleeping bag tonight I am pleased at how well my ankle seems to be healing. Of course, my body has had a lot of practice with this particular injury and so its been there, done that . . .   Overcast night which should mean its not going to be that cold. Good night.

SEPTEMBER 28th - Hmmm . . . as I start Day 68, I saw this article from the National Post about how investing in poverty elimination actually save money in the long run. Of course, this makes sense as preventative measures are typically cheaper than remedial measures, especially ones that only address symptoms rather root causes. However, in order to get this sort of thing moving, we need enough people saying it is important (i.e. political will) AND long term thinking. ( . . . and then later . . . ) The days are getting shorter and cooler . . . getting fat and hibernating like a bear sure seems attractive right about now.

SEPTEMBER 29th - Went down to -4C last night. Slept okay . . . slight headache possibly due to dehydration (I'll rectify that today). The good news is that there is no snow on the ground. Someone told me yesterday that there had already been two snowfalls as of this time last year.  When I finally crept out of my cocoon, I found the most beautiful sky greeting me. Come on sun . . . do your thing! Bring on the heat!!
 
( . . . and then later . . . ) A new study shows that 2/3 of homeless in Alberta are located in Calgary. The amount of homeless in Calgary is about 15,000 - 17,000 different people each year. However, the Calgary Homeless Foundation is taking aim at the problem. ( . . . and then later . . . ) Today was an ordinary sort of day . . . tried to stay out of the wind, but fairly nice day. While I've becomed accustomed enough to things that they seem "ordinary", the closer I get to finishing this phase, the more I miss my bed. Goodnight all!
 
SEPTEMBER 30th - I had some trouble sleeping last night. Full moon?  Just lying here in the pre dawn darkness . . . wind gusting from time to time . . . waiting for the sun to crest the horizon. It's a mysterious, lonely time of day.   What will Day 70 bring? (. . . and then later . . . ) Back in tent and enjoying a warm evening.  It was weird . . . I've never been to Calgary before and scouted out where I would sleep. But I did that earlier today. To be honest I would make a beeline for The Mustard Seed.   Sleep well . . . I hope to!

OCTOBER 1st - I was flattered by a comment . . . "Amazing ministry to the homeless." The problem is I'm not that talented. There are wonderfully skilled people who truly have an effective ministry TO the homeless.  My ministry is more FOR those in poverty (i.e. an advocate). Semantics perhaps, but I think an important distinction. ( . . . and then later . . . ) Had the shivers earlier but they have passed. After dinner, for like the first time in forever, I gladly offered to do the dishes. (I hate doing dishes!) I almost jumped in the sink of hot water.  Dark, cold, rainy . . . nothing else to do but climb in my cocoon and get to sleep. Man I wish I could sleep inside tonight. Soon enough . . . I guess.

OCTOBER 2nd - Howdy Sunday! Geez . . . seems like a week since I saw you last. I hope you live up to your name today.  I had a good sleep last night. Stayed warm in my blankets, and now for a little solar heat! ( . . . and then later . . . ) It's one of those days where the air is refreshing, the sun is smiling, and the wind is saying hello. I am grateful. I hope that you have things to be grateful for wherever you are! ( . . . and then later . . . ) Just thinking about the day, and reflecting on my time in the tent.   Good night all.


Twitter Account (@thatpovertyguy . . . "Followers" increased from 1158 - 1630 including many mentions and retweets by others)

SEPTEMBER 19th - "One third of all food produced is wasted." (FAO) (. . . and then later . . . ) Ever feel the relief in a room after witnessing a fight? Imagine the tangible relief felt by us all when the pain of poverty is alleviated.

SEPTEMBER 20th - Ice in the bird bath, frost on the cars . . . ye old tent was chilly last night ~ -4C. ( . . . and then later . . . )  If the world can alleviate extreme poverty but it doesn't do it. . . does that make the world morally bankrupt??

SEPTEMBER 21st - Woohoo!! Five degrees warmer last night . . . only went down to 1C. ( . . . and then later . . . ) Mark my words, the proposed Omnibus Crime Bill will increase poverty in Canada. Less $ re social services + less judge discretion + mandatory min. + creating more criminals = MORE poverty in Canada. ( . . . and then later . . . ) Int'l Day of Peace - How much more peaceful would the world be if we redirected even 1/5 military $ to humanitarian purposes? ( . . . and then later . . . ) The growing divide between rich and poor is a HUGE problem for everyone. Our system is broken.

SEPTEMBER 22nd - Holy Tropical Night Batman! It was 14C ABOVE normal last night. Having a good sleep makes a world of difference in someones life.

SEPTEMBER 23rd - Homeless Survey in Austin, TX - 37.8% are working, 89% want to 40 hr work week. Homeless desire viable employment!  ( . . . and then later . . . )  I rather live in a society where a guilty person goes free than an innocent person be convicted.

SEPTEMBER 24th - To need warmth at night is human . . . but 13C is divine! ( . . . and then later . . . ) Attending www.cause.ca meeting in support of MDGs. The millenium development goals take direct aim at poverty .

SEPTEMBER 25th - The "tropical' night time temps are over, back to seasonal norms (2C in tent last night). Still had good sleep although woke up a bit more. ( . . . and then later . . . ) Victims feel sad for that which is lost, yearning for yesterday. Survivors feel blessed for that which they had, striving for tomorrow.  ( . . . and then later . . . )  Sprained my ankle. Nothing like making my time without the comforts of home a little more interesting. Details in my blog tomorrow.

SEPTEMBER 26th - Violent windstorm last night. Frightening actually. My tent needs some minor repairs. ( . . . and then later . . . ) Reacting to poverty instead of addressing root causes is "akin to handling a leaky roof by mopping the floor." Iglika Ivanova ( . . . and then later . . . ) "Study after study has linked poverty to poorer health, lower literacy, more crime, poor school performance." CdnCentre4PolicyAlternatives ( . . . and then later . . . ) Fighting poverty requires upfront investment to save costs down the line BUT the 4-year election cycle doesn't encourage longterm thinking.

SEPTEMBER 27th - Cool and rainy this morning but I'm warm and dry. How about you? If you're warm and dry please remember to be grateful. ( . . . and then later . . . ) Canada needs a national poverty reduction plan. ( . . . and then later . . . ) Day 67 in the tent is now in the books. Ankle is healing. Overcast skies should mean not too cold tonight. Hand is healing. Can't complain.

SEPTEMBER 28th - Happiness is an individual thing. Ensuring everyone has food/water, shelter, health & education is up to ALL of us. (. . . and then later . . . ) Highlights today . . . ankle purple but functional . . . wind calm . . . stars beautiful . . . now to cocoon for a cool night in the tent.

SEPTEMBER 29th - "twitter, twitter, twitter" That's what my teeth were doing as soon as I crawled out of my cocoon this morning. Was -4C last night. ( . . . and then later . . . ) 15000 - 17000 diff. people each yr experience homelessness in Calgary says Tim Richter, CEO of Calgary Homeless Foundation. ( . . . and then later . . .) Weather report says it will be 7C tonight (it was -4C last night). I hope it's right, but I'm not betting the tent on it. :)

SEPTEMBER 30th - Beautiful night! Not bad living in a tent when it's like it is right now.

OCTOBER 1st - A tent dwellers dream! It actually got warmer throug the night. Fell asleep to 5C . . . awoke to 9C!! ( . . . and then later . . . ) If anyone finds my butt (that froze off) let me know. In the meantime I'm going to cocoon and try to get some sleep.

OCTOBER 2nd - 'Twas a good night in the tent. Cold, but sturdy blankets make bearable. That said . . . homeless life is not all it's cracked up to be. :)  ( . . . and then later . . . )  To protect OUR rights we must ensure the rights of others. Food, water, shelter, health & education are RIGHTS!  (. . . and then later . . . ) There comes a time in every tent dweller's life, at least once, when he must go to sleep. Now is that time for me.


Hey!! I'm That Poverty Guy . . . let's make a world of difference together.

No comments:

Post a Comment