October 8, 2011

The Tent Flap Closes (End Phase I - October 8, 2011)

Over the last few months . . . That Poverty Guy (Sean Krausert) lost
17 lbs, got a little more grey hair, and cultivated quite a beard.

Last night was like Christmas Eve and I was 8 years old!  I slept alright until about 3 AM, and then my ol' nemesis woke me up (my bladder).  After a quick trip to the washroom through -2C weather, and over a little ice where the rain had frozen, I was unable to sleep another wink.  I was so excited about being done sleeping outsider.  At 6:03 AM I left the tent to end Phase I of That Poverty Project.

I finished this phase of the project weighing 216 lbs, down 17 lbs from my starting weight of 233 lbs.  I will try to maintain my weight prior to starting Phase II - Struggles of the Working Poor on November 1st.  I'm not sure what to expect weight-wise in the next phase as I will likely not have an abundance of food BUT the food I will be able to afford might be high in fat content or otherwise lacking nutritional value. 

I ended the homelessness phase with the same amount of money with which I started.  Nothing.  I actually had $10 in my pocket yesterday, but then a door to door charitable appeal going down my street became the beneficiary of it.  During the second phase, I will be tracking every penny to the penny as money comes much more into focus for that phase.

This morning was a strange feeling.  First of all, being "allowed" to be indoors as much and whenever I like made me think of a prison door opening. (see And Now For Something Completely Different)  Then, it was awesome doing a little bit of grooming - cutting nails, shaving my neck (I'm keeping my beard through Phase II since I won't be able to afford razors, and I don't want to grow the beard all over again), and having a glorious shower.  Finally, I experienced feeling a little bit overwhelmed deciding what I was to wear . . . so many choices about things I haven't had to deal with since July.

Stay tuned for video footage of burning my underwear and socks . . . all of which is no longer suitable for usage (or likely safe for humans to be around).  Seriously . . . I'm doing it.

Actually, it's not really the end of Phase I . . . and it's also sort of the start of Phase II.  This time of transition is important as further reflections from Phase I will emerge as I reintegrate back into the house.  Similarly, as I prepare for Phase II . . . anxiety, nerves and uncertainty about what is to come will also start to rise to the surface.

What should readers expect over the next 3+ weeks?  That Poverty Guy will still have a daily presence on Facebook and Twitter, but blogs will be fewer . . . perhaps 2 - 3 per week.  I am taking the time to prepare for the next phase and do some reflecting on what has been.  Then, as of November 1st the blogs will pick up again to their normal regularity.

As for right now . . . I'm celebrating Thanksgiving with my family, and we have learned that we have more to be thankful for than we thought a few months ago.  And, given that I do feel somewhat exhausted, I'm going to take a little time to . . .



Hey!! I'm That Poverty Guy . . . let's make a world of difference together.

Click Here to Sign . . . A Declaration to World Leaders

Click Here to See WACHOOKANDU

2 comments:

  1. Enjoy ur thanksgiving...and take time to focus now on the strengths you will need ahead...refresh yourself in prayer...rejoice in what u have done...and in all things....be thankful. For He is doing a great work in and Through you!....and i am happy to be part of this online in a way. may u rest and recharge ur batteries with those u love. Well done and thank u!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sean D. Krausert, EditorOctober 10, 2011 at 11:31 PM

    We certainly did enjoy our Thanksgiving, thanks!

    You provide some wonderful advice that I'll certainly heed.

    ReplyDelete