September 19, 2011

Tweets & Posts Update (September 12 - 18, 2011)

For those of you not on Twitter or Facebook, the following are some highlights from That Poverty Project's postings from the previous week:

Facebook Page ("Likes" grew from about 194 to 300 while each Post gets between 447 and 802 impressions.)

SEPTEMBER 12th - Can squirrels have Type A personalities??? I sure hope so 'cuz I saw the busiest squirrel EVER chucking down pine cones as if winter was coming tomorrow. If he's not a Type-A-gotta-get-it-done-because-it's-on-my-list kind of dude, then we better enjoy this weather while we can. . . . (and then later) . . . Do you hear that? I don't hear anything either! That's a welcome relief. For the last few hours it has been blowing a cold gale that has been rattling trees and whipping the tarp on my tent. It's finally stopped . . . at least for now. I had lost a layer or two this morning when the sun heated things up, but they're right back on as well as my gloves! (Well . . . as soon as I hit "Share" the gloves are going back on.) . . . (and then later) . . . Hokey shmokey artichokey . . . that wind can just suck the energy right out of ya! Time to bring Day 52 to an end. That said, as I drift off in my sleeping bag and protected by my tent, all wrapped up in my blanket and hoodie, I will be grateful for my blessings recognizing that I am still living more comfortably than over half the people on Earth (or more).


SEPTEMBER 13thVery manageable night! Despite a cool day yesterday, it only went down to 4C. A younger me would have been able to sleep much longer, but middle aged me could only hold his bladder at bay until 5:45 AM. C'est la vie! . . . (and then later) . . . I've learned from yesterday. At this time 24 hours ago I was butt-less (i.e. freezing my rear end off). Instead of losing layers too readily, I have kept them on. I've gone for a walk when needed to get the blood flowing and body heated. And I've stayed out of the wind whenever possible. So far so good! . . . (and then later) . . . It's funny . . . everyone is so concerned about how cold it is going to be for me at night when it is a cool day . . . but the night's are not bad at all, it's the cool day that is tough. But when it is nice during the day no one expresses any concern, but at this time of year those are the cold nights. Today the weather sucked, and so I'm expecting the night to be quite manageable. May we all count are blessings! Good night.


SEPTEMBER 14th - A rock concert last night! I pretended that the thunder was the crash of the drums and the rumbling base. The lightening was the lazer show. And the pouring rain was the continuous applause. As for vocals, that was my screaming. (just kidding . . . you could hardly call my whimpering a scream). But seriously, I fared very well compared to those who had no choice but to be unprotected in the elements.


SEPTEMBER 15th - Someone told me yesterday that poverty was old news and it was silly to try to raise awareness about it in the media. Really??? Betcha the 925 million hungry people in the world and the 3 billion who live on less than $2.50/day think it's a pretty current state of affairs . . . and that help would be appreciated ASAP.  . . . (and then later) . . . I'm troubled by the new USA report that says over 46 million Americans live below the poverty line. Combined with Canada's 3.5 million, that's 50 million people in 2 of the richest countries. Saying it is economic times is just an excuse. We can change these stats . . . it's just a matter of priorities . . . deciding to fix our social safety net and feed people instead of buying fighter jets. . . . (and then later) . . . Well, that's a first for me . . . hauled out of a public washroom stall by RCMP officers. Ended up being a case of mistaken identity and apologies were given to me. But for crying out loud. . . . (and then later) . . . As you know, I'm traveling and exploring other aspects of homelessness while I do. Abused fleeing their home, mental illness, and those living in their vehicles are all part of it. Found some shelter in doors last night which was a strange sensation. Tonight I'll likely be sleeping in a vehicle. I will be back in the tent tomorrow night. Of course, I'll blog about the experience on Saturday.


SEPTEMBER 16th - That was one of the more challenging sleeps ever. Call me soft, but this body was not designed to sleep in a car overnight. Just saying. . . . (and the later) . . . Back in the tent tonight, and looking forward to a much better sleep than in the vehicle last night. Day 56 coming to a close.


SEPTEMBER 17th - Wow . . . 10 hours sleep. Rainy last night but not too cold. I zonked because I was so exhausted. Need to get laundry done and hope the weather cooperates. . . . (and then later) . . . Hmmm . . . okay, a few changes over the last couple of months.


SEPTEMBER 18th - Cold night last night, at least it seemed that way. The actual temperature, I think, was only 3C.  I find I'm fixating this morning on a single thought. Has our society lost sight of our foundational values and ideals? . . . (and the later) . . . A couple of updates - first . . . great job everyone! Since my challenge just over a week ago the number of people who "Like" this page has doubled. Can we do it again??; second . . . the survey results are in! The question dealt with "How cold will it get overnight before Phase I of the project ends?" 5% said no lower than -2C; 35% said between -3C and -5C; 30% said between -6C and -8C; and 30% below -8C. Boy I hope the 5% are right!! . . . (and then later) . . . Day 58 is now in the books. I lead a service in Banff today that took place, appropriately, in a tent! It was cool though . . . everybody was wrapped in blankets. Then this afternoon and evening was quiet . . . needing to recharge a bit. Being outside so much really wears one down . . . I get tired and moody quicker. On the flip side, when I go inside I find that I getter hot quite quickly. Goodnight! . . . (and then later) . . . Hey! I just noticed that we're now up to 300 "Likes" on this page. That's fabulous because alleviating poverty is all about numbers. Lots of people being aware and conscious, and lots of people doing just a little bit more. In addition, I now have 1158 Twitter followers (@thatpovertyguy) and over 6000 blog reads!!  Let's keep spreading the news that . . . WE CARE!!!


Twitter Account (@thatpovertyguy . . . "Followers" increased from 870 - 1158 including many mentions and retweets by others)

SEPTEMBER 12th - What day does it feel like to you? I'm stuck on a continuous Wednesday loop. . . . (and then later) . . . When you only have few clothes, it seems almost everyday is laundry day. Wait a minute . . . it is. . . . (and then later) . . . In 2010, there were 15.4 M refugees & 27.5 M internally displaced people due to conflict. . . . (and then later) . . . Holy windmill Batman! It's blowing so hard that I think the tent and I will soon be going for a ride. Hold on Toto!!


SEPTEMBER 13th - Marking 8 years as a deacon as I awake in a tent to raise awareness about needs in the world. Hmmm. Appropriate.


SEPTEMBER 14th - There's smoke in the air. When outside all the time it is tough to escape it! . . . (and then later) . . . Almost 1 out of every 2 kids in the world live in poverty. We CAN change that. . . . (and then later) . . . To beat poverty we need many people engaged in the problem. THANKS to the 1st 1,000 followers on my journey! Let's keep spreading the word.


SEPTEMBER 15th - Taking care of poverty is a matter of priorities. e.g. Do we make sure everyone has food or buy fighter jets? . . . (and then later) . . . Based on new info, approx 50 million Cdn & Amer below poverty line (1 in 10 kids). Holes in social safety nets! . . . (and then later) . . . So . . . I was hauled out of a public washroom stall by some cops. Mistaken identity. Big apologies from the cops. Unbelievable!!


SEPTEMBER 16th - In depression, logic becomes fallacy, and fallacy becomes reality. ~ Michael Landsberg . . . (and then later) . . . Back in the tent tonight . . . should be better than the vehicle last night.


SEPTEMBER 17th - I REALLY need to do some laundry rain or shine. Sure will be easier in "shine" and so crossing my fingers re no rain.


SEPTEMBER 18th - As a society . . . have we lost our bearings? What's important as a community of people? Are we going in that direction? . . . (and then later) . . . I'm for democracy . . . but its weakness is that sometimes the right thing to do is not popular. . . . (and then later) . . . If you're loved by someone, have a place to lay your head, and know where your next meal is coming . . . GIVE THANKS!  


Hey!! I'm That Poverty Guy . . . let's make a world of difference together.

No comments:

Post a Comment