September 10, 2011

The Accidental Diet (Day 50 - September 10, 2011)


That Poverty Guy (Sean Krausert)
Day 50 - Mountain Man / 219 lbs
"You know . . . if this social justice thing doesn't work out for you, you can probably write a killer diet book."  As I weighed myself this morning, I thought of my brother-in-law's words spoken to me just before I started living in the tent.  Well, that social justice thing IS working for me, but I may also be able to promote a diet.  I lost another pound this week, bringing my overall loss to 14 lbs over the last 7 weeks. 

Of course, there's nothing magical to the weight loss.  I'm simply eating regular balanced meals with only limited opportunity for second helpings (limited to once per week).  Pretty much no snacking between meals, although I have bought myself a chocolate bar (. . . or two). For the most part I only drink water and the occasional tea.  The weight loss has happened despite having had some beers . . . a few through the generosity of others and a few while watching the football game on Monday. (see Clucking Normal)  I've also had some wine . . . I bought myself a really cheap bottle of Argentinian wine ($8.99!).  Of course, there's been lots of exercise with walking daily.  And, if all else fails, the body seems to burn more calories when sleeping outside in the cold . . . although I would NOT recommend the last one since hypothermia can set in, which puts the "die" into diet.

As for moola . . . I currently have about $8 or $9.  I'd tell you the exact amount, but it's all change and it's in the tent.  I'm feeling far too lazy at the moment to put my laptop down, walk the four and a half feet to my tent, and climb in to count it.  So you're going to have to be satisfied with a guess-timate. I had spent pretty much all I had on Monday, but the bottles I took into the depot this week netted me a handsome $7.30 to put some life back into my coffers. 

It just occurs to me . . . "coffers" is a strange word. Upon looking it up I see that it is Middle English, and both it and "coffin" have the same Latin root cophinus, meaning basket.  I guess the only time you aren't concerned about whether there is money in your coffers is when you're in a coffin!  Of course, if you say either of the words too often then you have to go to the doctor to get a "cophinus suppressant".  (Get it?  Boy oh boy . . . nothing tickles the funny bone like a Latin pun!)  But I digress . . .

To close off for today, and in commemoration of 50 days in the tent so far, the following are the Top Ten favourite blog posts based upon the number of views by readers . . .

10.    Blew My Money in Booze . . . Almost

9.      The Battle of the Tweet

8.      Not All Bad . . . Is NOT All Good

7.      Cotton Pickin' Bottle Pickin' !!

6.      Losing It

5.      Remembering Jack

4.      Really . . . What Does IT Look Like?

3.      This, That, and The Other Thing

2.      And Now For Something Completely Different

And, the top blog post SO FAR . . .

1.      Panhandlers, Street People & The Mustard Seed


Hey!!  I'm That Poverty Guy . . . let's make a world of difference together.

Click Here to See WACHOOKANDU.


No comments:

Post a Comment